Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Careless smoking to blame in fire that killed 2 in North End


Two people were killed early Wednesday morning in a fire in Boston's North End.
The flames broke out at 282 Hanover St. at 1 a.m. in a building that houses several apartments and Trattoria Il Panino. Fire officials believe the fire started in a second-floor bedroom.
A 33-year-old man died after jumping from a window. A 58-year-old man was found dead inside the building. The man's roommate described his efforts to put out the fire.
“I was sleeping, and smoke was coming in my room. I got up to ask him why the house was so smoky. He said, ‘Help me. Help me put this out.’ I started filling up a pan of water, and it was just useless. It was fruitless, and I said, ‘Matt, we have to go. It is just too big,’ I ran out the door and I thought he was coming behind me, but he must have been staying to put the fire out,’” the roommate said.
A mother, father and 3-year-old child were rescued by firefighters on ladders and taken to the hospital.
"The fire house is just down the street. They got a lot of people out there safely. It’s a tragedy. It’s Thanksgiving, and we have two people dead. It just breaks your heart,” Boston Police Department Commissioner William Evans said.
The cause of the fire is believed to be careless disposal of cigarettes.
Boston fire officials say these are the first fire fatalities in the city this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment